My family and I just moved back stateside after a five month stay in Queensland, Australia. All the boxes we packed up were stored in my craft room, which means I haven’t been able to get to my sewing machine until today, almost a month after getting back into our home. With the task of unpacking, I’ve taken the opportunity to re-organize my craft room and make it a little more user-friendly, which included finally finding a permanent eye-pleasing way to store my fabric:
Oh, I like rainbow order. The two big bins on the bottom of each cart hold a specific color each, with the pieces being larger than fat quarter-sized. I’ve organized the bins into pink, red, orange/yellow, green, aqua/turquoise, blue, purple, multi-colored, gray/black, and brown/white. The middle bins hold fat quarters in any combination of the two lower colors (i.e. orange, yellow and green in the second cart), and the upper bins hold scraps–the top holds anything 2.5 inches or thinner, and the second from the top holds anything larger than 2.5 inches and smaller than a fat quarter. The carts used to hold construction paper for my kids, but I’m taking a sabbatical from homeschooling this year and decided to re-purpose the bins for my own personal use.
One bin won’t close easily: the “larger than 2.5 inches” aqua/turquoise & blue bin. This tells me that I need to start working from that bin, and it turns out that a large portion of that bin is a bunch of snowman prints from a epic failure of a project many years ago.
What a great place to start! I decided to whip something up out of the snowman fabric to give away, partly because I know someone who decorates heavily with snowmen during the winter months, and also because just seeing the fabric reminds of my epic failure, which isn’t a whole lot of happy-making for me. Take the failure and make it into something that blesses the life of another!
Since Sherri McConnell over at A Quilting Life inspired me to start working with my scraps with her “Scraps Monday” series, I decided to take a quick look through her book, Fresh Family Traditions, and came across her “Sugar Pine” pillow pattern, which I think will work smashingly for this fabric.
I’ve got the first bit of sewing done, and I’ll work on turning these HSTs into some QSTs in the upcoming week.
I did go ahead and turn one of the HSTs into a QST, just because I wanted to see how it would look. They’re at the top of this next picture:
I think it’s going to turn out rather well. I’m planning on making two pillows, because I’m a “pillow set” kind of gal, and I’m rather certain that the recipient is as well. Or maybe I’ll end up liking them and being able to overlook the “epic failure” memories, and just keep them for myself. We’ll see…
Linking up with: