I finished it a while back, but she wore it for our Easter church service at home, and I finally remembered to snap a couple of pictures of her.
I’ve had this pattern earmarked for a couple of years for her. I’d purchased some great dresses from Lands End about four years ago for Emily, and then they were handed down to Ren, and now to Rachel, and they are such a great silhouette that I started keeping an eye out for a comparable pattern somewhere out there in Sewing Land. It appeared one day in the form of Butterick 6450–a bloused bodice with an elastic waist, short sleeves, and a swingy skirt. It works really great for a growing girl.
This is View C, sewn up in a cotton lawn from Miss Matatabi. I underlined the bodice with white cotton voile for modesty, and attached the same fabric as a lining beneath the skirt. (Note to self: Don’t mix and match underlining the bodice with a lining for the skirt in this pattern in the future–it got messy when it came to attaching the zipper versus the encased elastic waistband. Pick one method of under/lining and go with it for both the bodice and the skirt.) I did not do the gathering on the sleeves, and I was surprised that I ended up using the full length of the View C skirt.
The skirt is seamed down the center front and back on the bias, which is something that I’d like to avoid in the future because I want to sew up a couple iterations of this in gingham prints, but that bias seam will cause all sorts of headaches with a gingham. I know it will be easy enough to throw a different skirt onto the bodice in the future, but sigh…more thinking ahead. It worked well enough with this abstract print, and the skirt has turned out really well and fluttery without the danger of flipping up in a wind gust, à la a circle skirt.
Construction was easy, with no weird head-scratching moments. I like bias binding on my edges, so I really love that bound neckline–makes me so pleased everytime I see it! The instructions on how to hem the skirt were really good and gave a nice finish. The zipper instructions were a mess and I ended up just hacking the stupid thing in there, but that’s just because I am missing the gene that lets me understand how to put a zipper into anything. Good enough.
I’m planning to sew up this pattern, with a few design changes, at least two more times this year. It’s a great dress!